Frequently Asked Questions
There are many different ways to download and read ebooks on many different platforms and devices. Sometimes it can get confusing. We've prepared answers to the most frequently asked questions below. So if you are unsure what format to download, or how to get ebook files onto your device, please click on the sections below to find out more.
- The text is reflowable. This means the text can be increased to a comfortable reading size without the lines of the book running off the edge of your screen, which is more user-friendly than a PDF when reading on a mobile device.
- There are many free apps available on all platforms, so you can download and read on any of your devices.
- These apps offer features such as bookmarks, highlighting and adding your own notes so you can easily annotate and find your favourite sections of each book. Some apps also offer a 'read aloud’ feature as well as ‘syncing’ of your library across devices so you can pick up reading on one device (such as your phone) where you finished reading on another device (such as your laptop).
- iPhones and iPads often come with 'iBooks' pre-installed (for reading epub format books). If its not pre-installed you can download it from the App Store. Alternatively you can search for 'ePub Reader’ or 'Kindle app’ in the App Store on your device and you will find many other options available.
- Android phones often come with 'Google Play Books’ pre-installed (for reading epub format books). If its not pre-installed you can download it from the Google Play Store. Alternatively you can search for 'ePub Reader’ or 'Kindle app’ in the Google Play Store on your device and you will find many other options available.
- For PCs you can download Adobe Digital Editions for epubs or the Kindle App for Kindle format books.
- For Macs you can use iBooks (often pre-installed) or Adobe Digital Editions, which both read epub books. Alternatively, you could install the Kindle App to read Kindle format books.
- For additional eReader options for all the above devices you can search for 'ePub Reader’ or 'Kindle app’ in the App Store on your device and you will find many options available.
- Make sure you have a suitable eReader app installed on your device BEFORE you download the ebook (see the section above for more information on apps).
- Go to HowtoTYL.com directly in your web browser (eg. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer). Make sure you open the page in a web browser as some other apps (such as Facebook on mobile devices) attempt to launch the page within the app itself, which can then interfere with the download process.
- Click on one of the download buttons on the HowtoTYL.com page. A new page will open and your download will begin automatically. Some browsers may block the auto-download. If this happens just click on the blue button at the top of the page that says 'Your download should begin automatically, but if not, please click here'. This will manually re-activate the download and the file should appear on your device.
- Open the file in your chosen eReader app to begin reading.
- Once you have downloaded you will also see the option to sign-up for a series of 'Advice for Life' emails, where you will receive a weekly quote from the book in your inbox, together with a suggested practice for the week. You can also find this at the bottom of this page.
- Click on one of the ‘FREE ebook Download’ buttons at HowtoTYL.com
- If the download does not begin, close any pop-up error messages that appear. You should then see a web page that says 'Thank you for Downloading. Please enjoy and share!'
- At the top of the page there is a blue button that says 'Your download should begin automatically, but if not, please click here'. Click this button to manually reactivate the download.
- You should then see the ePub file icon appear in your browser with an option underneath to 'Open in “iBooks"'
- Click on this option and the book should open correctly in 'iBooks'.
Question not answered above? Contact us
If you have some feedback or the answer to your query is not listed above, please use the contact form below and we will try to help.
If your query is about downloads or ebook formats please be sure you tell us the following information (this will help us to help you):
- What format you are trying to download
- What device and operating system you are using
- What eReader app you are using on the device
Advice for Life
Enter your email to receive your free weekly inspiration.
We value your privacy and your email will not be passed on to 3rd parties. You have the option to unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org